Feb 15, 2010

Entreprenuerial mindset.?

An interesting conversation I had on chat. Slightly modified, and with due permissions from the person I was conversing with.

me: How is the progress for you. Generally interested
Ismail: Nothing much conquered. I was on leave. I am finding out a few more options for myself, apart from the Journalism thing
me: Not much headway on the job side?. Are you pursuing it, or you continue to be interested in getting your things done.
Ismail: As Journalism thing will take some more time. But on jobs side, I am still looking for it. I have been talking to people for entrepreneurship options
me: Any other area you are looking to touch ?
Ismail: Yes. Clean energy - startups. Have been trying to get a contact through my friend from XYZ State - he is also working for the same thing. There is a company called random systems.
me: Any specific technology. Generating power from some solvents?
Ismail: Yes. And he has his own work going on. But, again that is just an initial ping to the company, nothing close to materialising. Thinking of joining this as the company is doing good work and has lot of potential - would also help me in MBA application - I want to base my profile in entrepreneurship (if possible)
me: Where are you looking for your mba. In India or US
Ismail: If can get scholarship - then from US otherwise from ISB
Me: Your excitement on Journalism side seems to be going down. Any thing in particular there. Or am I wrong here
Ismail: It is not going down, it has not yet caught up. I am going slow, because it is dependent on the funds. If that doesn't happen there would not be much activity happening for this year - So that would hamper my job/career/application for MBA. So once I know for the funds then can start working on it with more enthusiasm - same had come out after my initial discussions with him. Also, he only would need the guidance and mentoring in setting up the system/hardware so that I can help him from anywhere -if the plans do not happen to be big enough
me: I have two points to note for you on entreprenuership
a) Continue to hold a sense of purpose, when you think entreprenuership. Not entreprenuership per se, as a purpose, but the specific work you are doing. And you should be in love with that purpose. So entreprenuership is not a career goal. The purpose is the goal, and if it needs entreprenuership so be it. The urge should be that strong.
b) Don't feel limited. For example, if Journalism was a purpose for you, you may be doing innovative things, and not feel restricted by funds (though that is always the issue). There will always be some constraints.
So on b), you may be really owning the cause, rather than feeling dependent on it.
Ismail: I understand that - But in long term I want to be working for/running a VC firm. Where in I can help mentor start ups and take them to the next level. As of now, I do not feel passionate about a particular idea - I feel excited about any idea with a good potential. Start ups would need funds and mentoring both, which is good for their growth. As of now, as per my understanding, I would get an entry into it after an MBA
me: why do you want to mentor start ups and start ups only and whom do you want to mentor in start ups
Ismail: because 1) the ideas are new. 2) they can be more return generating 3) They also need funds and mentoring/guidance. I also, feel that these companies are micro level growth engines. I feel start ups and early stage companies have high energy levels
me: So is that what you are most passionate about. How to generate or evaluate new ideas, how to generate more return, and how to help generate funds for such orgs
me: Or do you want to be at a place, which is high energy but may not be a vc firm
Ismail: The first one
me: Investigate each of your thoughts more deeply. You may not be inclined to a particular idea or a domain but you may be inclined to a skill. That itself may be a purpose
Ismail: ok - getting the point
me: So take a deeper look and revisit my two suggestions on top
Ismail: ok thanks surely I would
me: purpose is a very broad term and there can be atleast 10 types of purpose, and in each there may be many options
Ismail: sure but this would surely take the idea forward
me: Once you are clear about a purpose you would find it easier to manoevour
me: It can also change from time to time.
Ismail: ok thanks
me: Fundamental point is that we as human beings want to grow. and it keeps getting redefined, of what is most important part of us to grow. That is the purpose.
Money etc. is only the visible reward at some times to do a checkbox on some of this purpose. At times, money itself is the purpose. But be sure, what you are chasing when. Sometimes when you are chasing money only as a purpose, then constrain yourself with values. That what kind of money is good and what is not. But that is all we can say about money. It is just one of those 10 type of purposes we may have.
Ismail: I have got the direction to think - thanks
me: Sometimes, I wish, I can put such chats on blog !! May be that itself is an idea !!!
Ismail: yes, may be :-)