Jan 14, 2010

Looking within

Most decisions, possibly all, have already been made on a deeper level than the sentence level of mind, and my going through a reasoning process to arrive at them seems at least redundant. The question, "What do I want to do?" may often be a fearful reaction to the unconscious decision I have already made. It's quite different from "What I really want to do?" These questions acknowledge that at any given moment I am experiencing a variety of thoughts and emotions and that I want is a state which is most central to me. If I can experience that then what to do will be obvious and probably will follow naturally.

If I feel angry I don't have to ask what I want to do, because on the level of anger the decision is already in place to make someone feel guilty. And on the level of my core, if I feel love, the decision is already made to act without harming. The question, therefore, is not what to do, but where within me Am I looking.
--Hugh Prather